When the weather starts getting cooler, I start craving some good comfort food. This easy homemade cheese tortellini soup is just that, comfort in a bowl and super easy to put together for a busy family. Let me show you how easy is it to make this soup.Jump to Recipe
Food for Comfort
One of my favorite things about the weather being cooler is the warm and cozy meals we get to eat. I love sharing a cozy meal with those you love and the fact it looks like it took you longer to make than it did is also a win.
My kids love this easy homemade cheese tortellini soup and they aren’t huge fans of soup. My husband also requests this on a regular basis. I enjoy making it because it is quick and easy to make and most of all delicious.
What You’ll Need
Let’s start with what you’ll need for the soup.
- A large pot. I like using my dutch oven for this. It holds heat for a longer time than other pots. keeping the soup warm.
- A wooden spoon. To stir and serve.
- Cutting board. For chopping vegetables.
- Measuring cup
- Chicken/bone broth
- Ground sausage (or beef can be substituted)
- Cheese filled tortellini
- Can of crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
Easy Cheese Tortellini Soup – The Process
Start by browning the ground pork and set aside when it is completely cooked through.
Chopping your onion and add them to the pot once it has been heated to medium-high heat. Sautee in a little coconut oil until they are translucent. Add in the can of crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth to your pot with the onions. Give that a good stir and turn up your heat so it is simmering.
If you’d like to learn to make your own bone broth (super healthy for you) here is a post on how to make your own. This is literally so simple and easy to do.
Add in fresh garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
Add in the heavy cream (fresh or store bought). Half and half can also be used for this. I have even used milk when I didn’t have either and it worked out just fine.
Chop some spinach. Parent tip: I often chop mine really small, so the kids don’t ask what the green stuff is, and they eat it without complaining. The trick is to hide those veggies if you have picky eaters!
Add in your cheese tortellini and cook until noodles are tender, and the spinach is wilted.
Serve with a salad and some homemade sourdough bread!
PIN It! for later
Shop This Post
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no cost to you. My blog is reader supported and I appreciate you all.
Some Posts We Think You’ll Like
Easy Cheese Tortellini Soup
- 1 Large Pot
- 1 large spoon for stirring and serving
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken/bone broth
- 1 cup half & half or heavy cream whole milk will work
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 handful spinach (chopped or left whole)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pack cheese tortellini
- Brown sausage in a pan until cooked through and set aside.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil into pot and sauté onions until translucent
- Add in a 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Add in 3 cups of bone broth
- Add in heavy cream, spinach, garlic, sausage. Stir well until combined.
- Add in the package of tortellini. Bring heat up to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional Italian seasoning)
- Serve and enjoy!