In this post I’ll show you how to make one of our favorite sweet treats, healthy homemade rice crispy treats. These are a little different than what you buy at the store and if you’re a chocolate and peanut butter lover you will want to make these often.Jump to Recipe
Why Make Them When You Can Buy Them?
A lot of people ask when I show making something homemade and go the extra mile at home to make something rather than just going to the store and buying it. My simple answer is I know what ingredients are used and feel more comfortable giving that to my family. To me homemade will always be a better option. I don’t mind going the extra step to make sure my family eats wholesome ingredients. Not the junk from the store. This is not to say we don’t ever have snacks from the store. I just always try to find a better alternative if I can.
The ingredients I’ll be using for these healthy homemade rice crispy treats are simple and you most likely have them in your pantry. This is a recipe that the kiddos can and will love to help you make and are quick to put together.
What Will You Need?
To start you’ll need to gather these kitchen tools:
- A large mixing bowl
- A silicone spatula
- Some measuring cups
- Parchment paper
- 9 x 13 baking dish (or similar size)
The simple Ingredients you’ll need are:
- Rice Crispy cereal (whole wheat is a better option if you can find it)
- Honey (local is so good!)
- Natural Peanut Butter (be sure to check ingredients! Only Peanuts and salt should be in peanut butter)
- No sugar added chocolate chips (we like using Lily’s brand)
Making the Healthy Homemade Rice Crispy Treats
Start by adding the rice crispy cereal to a large bowl. Then add in the peanut butter and honey. Mix well.
When you have all the peanut butter and honey incorporated set the large mixing bowl to the side. Cover the dish you have with some parchment paper. This helps with easy clean up and keeps the homemade rice crispy treats from sticking to the pan.
Add in the mixture covering the top of the parchment paper. Use the back of the silicone spatula to press down the mixture making it flat and spreading it evenly on the bottom of the 9 x 13 baking dish. Once you’ve got the rice crispy flat it’s time to move on to the last steps.
Use a microwavable bowl and add about 1/2 cup of no sugar added chocolate chips. You can add a little more or a little less depending on what you want. The trick to melting chocolate and having it spread easy is adding in about 1/2 tsp of coconut oil. Melts like butter! and spread so smooth.
I microwaved my chocolate in 15 second intervals being careful not to burn the chocolate. Take it out and give it a good stir. When all the chips have melted you can add them to the top of the healthy homemade rice crispy treats.
Make this a fun festive recipe at holidays! Use cookie cutters to make different shapes (depending on the holiday) and add sprinkles to the top. 🙂
Adding the chocolate is the last step. If you are going to cut out shapes with cookie cutters I suggest you, do it before adding the chocolate. Less mess and you can use all of the rice crispy mixture with little to no waste. Just cut your shapes then what’s left mash together and cut more shapes until you don’t have any leftover mixture.
*Another idea would be to add these to a treat bag for a school party for kids! Just be aware of any food allergies that the kids in class may have. *
Finishing Your Healthy Homemade Rice Crispy Treats
Add the melted chocolate to the top of your homemade rice crispy treats and pop them in the fridge to set the chocolate. This won’t take but about 5-10 minutes. Then They are ready to eat and enjoy! I store min in a airtight container (parchment paper left in) and pull them out when we want some. These are great to make ahead and add to lunch boxes for something sweet or just to enjoy at home throughout the week.
Your family will love them, and you can’t taste anything other than peanut butter and chocolate. The added benefits of having the honey if your family doesn’t like honey won’t ever be able to tell it’s there. 😉
PIN IT for later!
Homemade Healthy Rice Crispy Treats
- 1 Measuring Cups
- 1 large bowl
- 1 silicone spatula
- 1 sheet parchment paper
- 1 9 x 13 baking dish
- 5 cups rice crispy cereal whole wheat is best
- 1 cup natural peanut butter look for just peanuts and salt for ingredients.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup semi sweet (no sugar added) chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Add cereal to large mixing bowl
- Add in 1 cup of peanut butter
- add in 1/2 cup of honey
- Mix altogether with silicone spatula
- Line baking dish with parchment paper
- Spread rice crispy mixture to baking dish lined with parchment paper
- Press mixture flat
- Heat in a microwavable bowl 1/2 cup of chocolate chips with coconut oil in 15 second increments until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the top of flattened rice crispy mixture and spread out.
- Pop baking dish in the fridge for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- Cut, serve and ENJOY!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
Check Out Some of My Recent Posts